Monday, December 26, 2011

day 12 post surgery

Rarely have swealling.

Busy couple of days.  Hoping is improving.

Ways to get around.

Hopping (careful and know when to use crutches or another method, you cant afford a fall right now!)

Crawling stomach down, good for night time trips to the bathroom or moving something by sliding it in front of you.

Crawling stomach up, actually quieter than stomach down since my leg does not drag.

A young amputee friend tought me how to walk with one foot.  You swivel heel to toe and stay centered over the foot.  You can carry a glass of water this way.  While she can do it as fast as I can walk with 2 feet I am a lot slower and have to stop and catch my balance often.  She is amazing.  It is very quiet and as you improve pretty quick.  Thanks young lady!  You are impressive!

iWalk free, great for cooking and being up transition from up to down sucks though.  Takes a few minutes to put on/ take off and since I dont have the plastic cap sometimes I get stabbed by it.  Contacted the company a couple of times and dont think Im going to get one.  Should be able to do forms in it a bit though.

Crutches,  work but you cant really carry anything, noisy and they keep falling over when I am not using them.  Palms and ribs sore from using them, raw patches on skin above ribs starting to go away now.  Ill really be ready for palm strikes when this is over.

Wheeled office chairs work pretty good.

other things that help.

Upside down 5 gallon bucket good in bathroom to prop leg up when sitting, good leaning post when getting up and good to kneel on (with one knee) when shaving.

Recliner couch with computer desk next to it.  My throne!  Photo comming soon.  If you add a couple of pillows to prop the leg up it really helps, remember keep the foot above the heart and the swelling will stay down.

Ipod good music and games when you cant get up for a while.

near as I can tell I have a certain number of vertical hours.  Spend them wisely.  If at a friends lie on the floor and put your leg on a chair while visiting.  dont be shy you are injured!  Be proud and hurt or be humble and do more stuff your choice.

Great friends and family,  I can tell patience is running a bit thin but they have not thrown me out yet.

A friend mentioned use cat rules for opening doors look at them and they will open.  Funny I get the most help when out from the roughest fellows, a friend says they are the ones most likely to have been hurt so they have compassion for injuries.  Works for me.

my balance is really improving in my right leg, calf muscle appears to be growing, hoping around will do that.  very flat shoes are important!  I am using Zem nija

Pack your patience.  If you get to feeling to bad make friends with someone that cant walk and remember yours is temporary so dont whine.   As a friend of mine said "If you need people to help you your job is to be pleasant so they want to"  did I mention he is one of my wisest and smartest friends?

Another wash today with my wonderful wife putting up with my paranoia about hurting my ankle while washing it.  Well I dont want to do it again darn it!  She is right I am over the top on this but it should not be such a big deal soon another Dr appt in the new year.  Feels great to be clean, the things you miss.....


No comments:

Post a Comment