Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pre Op Day of Surgery.



Hi, Im Neal, (folks in Seattle know me as Art or Mr Jury)  yesterday I had surgery on my left ankle to stabilize it after 30 years of sprains.  If you are a poor sucker that has to have this surgery I hope this helps.  If you are a friend or family member you can keep up on my status.  Please comment so I know someone is reading this.

After my 2 hibicleans showers I showed up at Swedish hospital in Seattle at 5:40 am for a 7:40 surgery on 14 Dec 2011

My first nurse helped me get dressed in a hospital gown and robe and got me started on a bit of paper work and turning in my valuables for the safe.  (Drivers licence, insurance cards, $30 in cash, Ipod touch, and cell phone)

Found a paperwork mess up.  Consent I signed said Rt leg instead of Left leg.  How did I miss that!  Really wound me up (and I was already pretty nervous!)  I ended up writing all over the consent form and my right ankle.  Calmed down (I didn't yell or anything, just paced and bounced around a lot).  Nurse pages DR Vickers.  I move on to surgery (meeting the only grumpy person of the day) .
In pre op met the Minions (4th year medical students) nice but unsure folks they took a medical history and wrote up a new consent form.  Very efficient but a bit tentative, good practice even though my medical history is pretty short.

Anesthesiologist shows up and lets me know what he is going to do and gets the IV going (no meds until I clear up the paperwork!)  He explains what will be done.  Nerve block (reginal) for the lower leg.  2 nerves, if your knee is square, one runs on lower left corner outside, one runs lower right corner inside.

Dr Michael Vickars shows up and clears up the paper work, holds the old one next to the new one so I can see the changes.   Tells me not to worry about it happens once in a while.  He then Initials the correct leg.

We chat, my Aunt Judy (aka CAJ Crazy Aunt Judy) used to work and have fun with him and his staff.  I pass on greetings and her warning to not mess up her #1 Nephew!  He assures me.  I ask if he had a good nights sleep and felt good.  We agreed the best set up was nervous patient happy doctor.
I asked why the knot on the inside of my left ankle was so large when the damaged tendon was on the other side.  #1 tendon on that side is much larger and better blood supply to the bone so when it gets pulled hard (with a bad sprain) the bone grows out.

He reminds me that he will either:
repair the existing tendon (ligament?) unlikely due to many injuries (but prefered)  or
cut out the bad one and replace it with part of another tendon and fasten it in with screws set in the bone.

Then check out the cartilage in my leg and repair as necessary (I hope he did not do this it adds 6 weeks to no weight bearing time)  I will find out later today.  *update messed with cartilage 4 to 6 weeks on crutches.*  darn!

After a bit more conversation he leaves and I get up and use the bathroom for the final time before surgery.

Anesthesiologist does the nerve block I could only see a bit of the ultrasound display (that's OK I wanted him to have the better view)  Small pinch (about like a hair being pulled) and he placed a needle in each nerve and put in a chemical to interrupt the sodium movement that the nerves use to communicate.  Both done in less time than it takes to write it.  Now I feel confidant in this fellow he knows his stuff!  Doing it for 11 years and everyday.  Wish I had collected names.
Wheeled into surgery said hi to Doc.  mask held over my mouth and nose (oxygen they said, I think it was spiked),  Then I wake up in recovery.

Next Recovery

No comments:

Post a Comment